The final, or Hexagonal, round of CONCACAF regional qualifying for the 2018 World Cup opened on Friday with five games.
At Columbus, Ohio:
Rafael Marquez scored the winning goal in the 89th minute as Mexico knocked off the United States 2-1 on the road, handing the Americans their first home defeat in a home World Cup qualifying match since 2001.
At Port of Spain, Trinidad:
Christian Bolanos (65') and Ronald Mattarita (90'+2) each scored a goal as Costa Rica blanked Trinidad and Tobago 2-0 on the road.
At San Pedro Sula, Honduras:
Fidel Escobar scored the only goal of Panama's 1-0 road win over Honduras in the 22nd minute.
Hexagonal Group Standings:
1. Costa Rica (GP: 1; GD: +2; PTS: 3)
2. Mexico (GP: 1; GD: +1; PTS: 3)
3. Panama (GP: 1; GD: +1; PTS: 3)
4. United States (GP: 1; GD: -1; PTS: 0)
5. Honduras (GP: 1; GD: -1; PTS: 0)
6. Trinidad and Tobago (GP: 1; GD: -2; PTS: 0)
NOTE: Mexico defeated the United States 2-1 on the road while Panama defeated Honduras 1-0, also on the road, both taking place on Friday.